Recipe by Buster's friend
The Washington Post, March 14, 2012 From Washington food writer Emily Horton.
- 1⁄2 cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over low-to-medium heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and cook, tossing them occasionally, until the seeds are fragrant and slightly puffed, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a large mortar and pestle to crush the garlic and salt into a paste. Add the pumpkin seeds and grind the mixture into a coarse powder. Add the olive oil; use the pestle to incorporate it until well blended. Add the cayenne pepper and stir to incorporate. The pesto should be moist but crumbly.