Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
This pesto (translation: from the Italian word, to pound) is more "rustic" and drier than an herb based pesto. It can be used in much the same way and is great sprinkled on roasted vegetables, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, spread on flatbreads, or stirred into pasta or soup dishes.
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds (shelled, raw)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and toast pumpkin seeds until fragrant and slightly puffed, 5 to 7 minutes (toss occasionally).
- Meanwhile, use a mortar and pestle to mash the garlic and salt into a paste;add seeds and mash to a coarse powder.
- Blend in the olive oil using the pestle; stir in the cayenne (mixture will be moist but a bit crumbly).