1 hr 5 mins
I adopted this recipe in September 2006 from the Recipezaar account and have not tried it yet. The original owner, Mean Chef, had a great selection of authentic Southwestern-Mexican fare and I'm sure this is every bit as good as though I have already tried.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds or 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 10 tomatillos, husked, washed and quartered
- 1 serrano chili
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves
- 2 radish tops
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 bunch radish, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1Place a dry cast-iron skillet over low heat.
- 2Toast the pumpkin seeds, cumin seeds, pepper and oregano, shaking the pan occasionally, until their aromas are released, about 5 minutes.
- 3Do not brown.
- 4Set aside to cool and then grind in a blender or food processor to a powder.
- 6Combine the tomatillos, serrano chile, garlic, lettuce, cinnamon, cilantro, radish tops, onion and salt in a food processor.
- 7Puree until smooth.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 9Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- 10Standing back to avoid splatters, pour in the pureed tomatillo mixture, and sizzle for 30 seconds.
- 11Stir in the stock, reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 12Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
- 13Stir in the ground nut mixture and remove from the heat.
- 14Puree in a food processor or blender, in batches if necessary.
- 15Pass through a fine strainer, pressing with the back of a ladle to extract all the juices, into a 13 x 10-inch flameproof baking dish.
- 16Place the chicken breasts in the sauce and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- 17Cover with foil, transfer to the oven and bake 20 minutes.
- 18Serve the chicken and sauce over a bed of white rice.
- 19Sprinkle the radish slices over the top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Seed Chicken Mole
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.8
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 60.2 mg
- Sodium 1158.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 28.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: