Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g pumpkin pie filling, peeled seeded and diced (use one pumpkin about 1 3/4 lb.)
- 226.79 g strong vegetable stock
- 29.58 ml parsley or 4.92 ml dried parsley
- 113.39 g single cream
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml ground black pepper
- pasta, freshly cooked,to serve
- Gently fry the garlic and onion in the oil for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Do not allow them to burn.
- Add the pumpkin and vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin is tender.
- Break up the pumpkin by beating it with a wooden spoon, and stir in the parsley, cream, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Cook for a further minute and add a little of the pasta cooking water if the sauce is too thick.
- Pour over the pasta and serve immediately.
Yum! I used fresh pumpkin and evaporated skim milk to cut down on fat - delicious. Right balance of flavours.
Having a sensitivity to tomatoes, I am often looking for alternatives that aren't big on cream or cheese. Like a previous reviewer, I used fresh pumpkin and evaporated skim milk, and the effect was great! Will definitely use again.
I'm not a big pumpkin fan but I'd tried a very similar sauce in a favorite local restaurant. This was just as fantastic - an excellent and unique alternative to tomato, pesto or alfredo when they get "old". The sweetness is just subtle enough, and it even tasted good cold when the stragglers got to the table! :)