Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 15 mins
This pasta sauce is a nice change from the "usual" red or Alfredo pasta sauce. The addition of the cream tempers the taste of the pumpkin.
- Rinse the outside of the pumpkin, remove the seeds, cut it up into medium-small pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 boullion cube and the cut up pumpkin.
- Put the lid on and boil until it is soft--about 1 hour, more or less (the time depends on the size of the pumpkin).
- Remove cooked pumpkin from the pot into a colander to cool.
- While pumpkin is cooling, sauté the chopped onion until clear, in a bit of olive oil.
- Using a spoon, scoop the cooled pumpkin out of its skin or peel the skin away from the pumpkin and put into a bowl.
- Mash the pumpkin well and fold in the onions and any oil left in the pan.
- Put the cooked pumpkin and onion mixture into a medium stock pot and add 1 cup of water, 1 chicken bullion cube and a pinch of nutmeg.
- It should have a thick"sauce type" consistency.
- Simmer for one hour, checking to make sure there is just enough liquid (be careful not to let it scorch).
- While the pasta is boiling, add the heavy cream and 1 teaspoon olive oil to the sauce.
- Continue simmering sauce until pasta is cooked.
- Pour sauce over cooked, drained pasta and toss lightly to mix.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.