2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
This pasta sauce is a nice change from the "usual" red or Alfredo pasta sauce. The addition of the cream tempers the taste of the pumpkin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the outside of the pumpkin, remove the seeds, cut it up into medium-small pieces.
- 2Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 boullion cube and the cut up pumpkin.
- 3Put the lid on and boil until it is soft--about 1 hour, more or less (the time depends on the size of the pumpkin).
- 4Remove cooked pumpkin from the pot into a colander to cool.
- 5While pumpkin is cooling, sauté the chopped onion until clear, in a bit of olive oil.
- 6Using a spoon, scoop the cooled pumpkin out of its skin or peel the skin away from the pumpkin and put into a bowl.
- 7Mash the pumpkin well and fold in the onions and any oil left in the pan.
- 8Put the cooked pumpkin and onion mixture into a medium stock pot and add 1 cup of water, 1 chicken bullion cube and a pinch of nutmeg.
- 9It should have a thick"sauce type" consistency.
- 10Simmer for one hour, checking to make sure there is just enough liquid (be careful not to let it scorch).
- 11While the pasta is boiling, add the heavy cream and 1 teaspoon olive oil to the sauce.
- 12Continue simmering sauce until pasta is cooked.
- 13Pour sauce over cooked, drained pasta and toss lightly to mix.
- 14Serve with grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Sauce for Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.9
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 54.6 mg
- Sodium 513.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: