Another unique recipe clipped from the reader submitted recipes section of an old gourmet magazine. Prep time is an estimate - allow plenty of time for mixing, kneading and two rises. This is not a tea loaf type of bread - but rather meant to be a hearty loaf for sandwiches. The pumpkin should provide tenderness, color, and moisture - but I would not expect this to taste very pumpkiny.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 591.47 ml water
- 9.85 ml dill seeds
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- 59.14 ml minced onion
- 9.85 ml instant espresso powder
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 14.79 ml salt (really)
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 24.64 ml active dry yeast
- 473.18 ml fresh pumpkin puree or 453.59 g can solid pack pumpkin
- 591.47 ml rye flour
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 709.77-946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 1In a small pan,bring water to a boil, then boil the fennel and dill seeds and onion for 1 minute.
- 2Let cool to room temperature.
- 3Combine water mixture and espresso powder, coca powder, salt, butter, and yeast in a mixing bowl and let rest 5-10 minutes until it starts to get frothy.
- 4Beat in pumpkin using an electric mixer.
- 5Gradually add rye flour, wheat flour, and only 3 cups of the all-purpose flour, mixing well.
- 6Add enough of the remaining 1 cup of all-purpose flour to form a sticky mass that is just starting to come away from the sides of the bowl.
- 7Knead on a floured board 10 minutes, adding a bit more flour if needed to make a soft, pliable ball of dough.
- 8Place into a greased bowl, flip over once to coat top, then cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- 9Punch dough down and divide in half.
- 10Shape each half into loaves, then place into 2 greased loaf pans (9x5x3").
- 11Let rise (covered as before) in a warm place for about 1 hour (or until doubled).
- 12Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 50-55 minutes, or until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 13Let cool on racks completely before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Rye Yeast Bread
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.3
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 440.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 7.0 g