Recipe by JackieOhNo!
This is an elegant alternative to traditional pumpkin pie. It is a spicy cake rolled with pumpkin cream. It requires about 30 minutes chilling time, which I have not included in the preparation time.
Top Review by mkpfla32757_11962290
Wow...This is now a family tradition, every Thanksgiving from now on. 5 stars isn't enough.
I didn't change a thing and served 10 easily. My family said, awesome, great, seconds please.
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a 17x12-inch jelly roll pan with waxed paper.
- Beat eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt in bowl until tripled in volume. Beat in molasses.
- Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves over batter; gently fold together. Spread batter in prepared pan. (You should tap the pan on the counter to release air bubbles.).
- Bake until top is light golden and edges start to pull away from pan, about 12-14 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- Sift 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar evenly over a large sheet of waxed paper. Invert cake onto sugar. remove pan and peel off paper. Trim edges. Roll up cake in waxed paper, starting from long edge.
- Mix pumpkin puree, 6 T. confectioner's sugar, fresh ginger, lemon zest, and lemon juice in medium bowl and refrigerate.
- Unroll cake and spread pumpkin cream evenly on top. Roll up cake, using waxed paper to lift edge, then wrap rolled cake in waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Unwrap cake and place seam side down on serving platter. Sift additional confectioner's sugar over top.