Prep 1 hr
Cook 52 mins
This is from the "Better Homes and Gardens 2002 Annual Recipes" collection. Cooking time does not include overnight rising time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast, 1 package
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup chopped hickory nuts or 2⁄3 cup hazelnuts
- 1⁄3 cup maple granulated sugar or 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup snipped dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- For Rolls:.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, water, butter, sugar and salt just until warm (120 deg to 130 deg F) and butter almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture; add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in canned pumpkin. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased large bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Divide each half of dough into 8 pieces. On a lightly floured surface flatten each piece into a 3 1/2-inch round. For each roll, place the round of dough in the palm of your hand. Place 1 generous Tbsp of Maple Streusal Filling in the center of each round. shape dough into a ball by pulling the edges of the dough up and over the streusal, pinching edges of dough o seal. Place rolls, smooth side up, on prepared baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size (30 to 40 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F. Bake rolls for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove rolls from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks.
- Streusal Filling:.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients except butter. Stir to combine. Stir in the melted butter until combined.
- To make ahead:.
- To reheat rolls from room temperature, wrap in foil and warm in a 375 deg F oven about 7 minutes or until heated through. To reheat frozen rolls, wrap and warm in a 375 deg F oven for about 20 minutes or until warm.