Recipe by roos
This recipe is an updated version of #76004 on this site. As a result of the comments on this recipe, this reworking turned out to be some of the tastiest cookies I've ever had. Recipe yield is too small!
- 177.44 ml butter
- 118.29 ml sugar (preferably turbinado or demerarra)
- 29.58 ml orange zest
- 118.29 ml pumpkin
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml nutmeg (scant)
- 2.46 ml clove (scant)
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Blend in flavorings: orange zest, salt, cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla.
- Incorporate yolk, then flour.
- Divide in two balls, wrap separately and chill at least 1/2 hour.
- Use cookie cutters on dough rolled 1/4 inch thick (thinner for crispy cookies, thicker for chewier).
- Bake 15 minutes at 375-degrees.
- Frost with any icing. For Haloween we used powdered sugar (maybe 3 cups? Sorry, don't know quantity) mixed with cream cheese (2 Tablespoons) flavored with orange zest (1/2 teaspoon) and maple syrup (1/4 cup). Add milk to moisten to proper consistency (just add by the dropful; a little goes a long way and you want the resulting icing thick enough not to run off the cookies). Apply sprinkles to wet frosting so they harden on top.