Recipe by Chabear01
This is a recipe taken from a Smuckers coupon page, posting for the holidays cooking...if not this year definately next year. Not exactly a beginners recipe.
- non stick cooking spray (with flour in it)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold, cut into slices (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- caramel ice cream topping
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. sift powdered sugar generously over clean towel. Spray 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan with no stick spray. Line with waxed paper and spray with no stick spray. Combine pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and flour in a small bowl. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer until thick. Gradually add sugar and pumpkin, and then flour mixture. Once flour is incorporated, beat 1 minute more. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately loosen cake around edges and invert onto towel. Carefully remove waxed paper. Roll cake in towel beginning at narrow end. Cool Cake completely on wire rack. Unroll cake, spread filling evenly to edges of cake. Re-roll cake. wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours before serving.
- Combine shortening and butter in small deep mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth and fluffy. In a separate bowl combine powdered sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, salt and pumpkin pie spice (if desired) in a medium bowl on low speed until well combined. Add shortening mixture to powdered sugar mixture. Beat on high speed just until stiff peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- Drizzle cake with caramel syrup and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve slices with additional cramel syrup.
- ***Toasting nuts: place nuts in dry non-stick skillet over medium heat shaking pan until nuts are browned lightly.