Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Source: Times-Republic Recipe anthology, Watseka, IL 1990 40 min cook time includes cooling time for the cake part
- Beat eggs and sugar. Add pumpkin and lemon juice, mixing well, then dry ingredients.
- Spread batter into a greased and waxed-paper-lined 10x15 jelly roll pan. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool 15 minutes. Roll cake in tea towel or waxed paper and cool 10 more minutes.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese and margarine; add sugar and vanilla. Beat till smooth.
- Unroll cake and spread filling evenly.
- Re-roll and chill at least one hour before serving.
My mom has made this for years, she always used to pack a slice in my lunch box during the holidays. This is a great recipe, we usually beat the eggs 3 minutes before sugar is added, don't use ginger and sprinkle chopped walnuts over the batter before baking. Also we always cover the tea towel with a thin layer of powdered sugar first it helps to prevent sticking and gives it a finished look!
I have had a similar recipe and used it for about 17 years. I put powder sugar on towel before I roll up. My recipe had double the amount of filling. You can use a 9x13 pan for this cake I have. I also to make sure comes out of pan easily grease pan, line with aluminum foil or parchment and grease that before I put in cake batter.
Great pumpkin roll. I did add crystalized ginger Crystallized Ginger , Ginger Syrup & Ginger Sugar and loved it.