Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a tradition with my family and I look forward to the holidays and baking it for my family.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, combine eggs and sugar, beating with an electric mixer until thick and light yellow in color. Add pumpkin and lemon juice, mixing until blended.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to egg mixture, mixing well. Spread batter into greased and waxed-paper lined 10-by-15-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350 ° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 15 minutes. Place cake on clean tea towel sprinkled liberally with powdered sugar. Cool 10 minutes longer. From 10- inch side, roll cake up in towel. Set aside.
- While cake is cooling in towel, prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese and butter; stir in powdered sugar and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Unroll cake. Evenly spread filling over cake. Roll up cake (without the towel). Wrap in plastic wrap. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Slice before serving. Keep leftover slices refrigerated. This pumpkin roll freezes well.
Excellent filling, will definately make again.
I gave this 5 stars because everyone liked this, and I agree...it is Mmmm good. But I had trouble rolling the cake (which is my fault, and I don't rate recipes down for something I do wrong). Out of sheer habit, I inverted the cake after removing it from the pan, It was then that I realized that was not right. I tried to correct it by turning the cake over and rolling it the right way, but that made part of the cake crack in a few spots. I will definitely make this again during the holidays, so I have made a private note to myself that the cake is to be lifted out of the pan (don't invert!), and roll it so that the baked top is INSIDE the roll, not outside (like I did it the first time). But this is very very good, and I will make it again. I added about a tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin to the filling, because I wanted to find a way of using some of the remaining canned pumpkin, and I thought that was a great addition to the filling. Thanks Chef 393563. We loved it!