Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is similar to Evie's pumpkin and spinach recipe, but I thought it's different enough to post. It's a substantial salad, can be turned into a vegetarian main course by adding some crumbled feta cheese.
- 2 cups pumpkin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups baby rocket
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, shelled
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Bake the pumpkin pieces in half the olive oil until tender - about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Fry the walnuts in a spoonful of oil, drain on kitchen paper and allow to cool.
- Chop the walnuts roughly.
- Extract the seeds from the pomegranate, either by banging it with a spoon (f you like pomegranate juice spattered all over the kitchen) or by gently separating the segments. Be sure all the pith is removed.
- Combine the remaining oil with the balsamic vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Put the rocket into a flat bowl, place the pumpkin on it.
- Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over the pumpkin, then the walnuts, and dress with the oil and vinegar.
This was a neat twist to a winter salad. I enjoyed the pomegranate addition to the salad, but would have liked the pumpkin a little less "mushy".