Top Review by Katie5354
I made this with Splenda instead of sugar, only one egg yolk and all the rest whites, brown rice, and assorted dried fruits. It was quite good! I just baked it in the oven without putting it in another pan or water and it came out fine. Really good with FF Cool Whip!
- 1 (16 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin (1-3/4 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, scraped,grated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 cups milk (tested with 2 percent)
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon or 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup dark raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- Set rack as low as possible in oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Generously butter a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Have ready another, larger, shallow baking pan to hold water around the 13x9.
- With an electric mixer or in a food processor, blend the pumpkin, grated carrots, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and egg yolks.
- Lightly beat the whole eggs, then add slowly in 3 additions to pumpkin batter, blending just until absorbed each time.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in milk and bourbon.
- Stir in the cooked rice and raisins (or mixed dried fruit, such as diced dates, apricots or Fruit Bits).
- Pour the rice mixture into the prepared baking pan, then set that pan in the larger shallow pan.
- Place in oven.
- Fill larger pan with very hot tap water to come halfway up sides of dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Open oven and stir gently.
- Continue baking, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours longer, or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean.