Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Real Simple November 2001
- 2 cups short-grain rice or 2 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice, milk, sugar, vanilla bean, orange zest, orange juice, and salt.
- Heat to boiling over medium-high beat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and most (but not all) of the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Discard the vanilla bean.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- The recipe can be made ahead to this point.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days ahead.
- To rewarm, stir in an additional 1.5 c milk and stir gently over medium-low heat.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with the brown sugar if desired.