Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was an accidental discovery, serendipity, if you will! I couldn't find a recipe that quite included everything I had in my pantry and I so wanted pumpkin rice, so I picked a little of this and a little of that from other recipes and made one myself. It's absolutely delicious. I made it because I was in a pumpkin-y mood on Halloween Eve, and now I'm totally making it again on Thanksgiving. My picky two-year-old son even gobbled it all up and asked for seconds! I hope you enjoy it! If you find ways to tweak it, please feel free to comment!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- In large saucepan or frypan, sautee onion in olive oil until onions are transparent.
- Add rice and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover.
- In separate saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, butter, brown sugar, and spices.
- Stir together on medium heat until warm.
- When all the water is absorbed and the rice is al dente, add pumpkin mixture and stir.