1/2 Photos of Pumpkin-Raisin-Red Chile Corn Muffins
We bake these in a popover pan, so one muffin is very filling! You'll get a lot more if you use a standard muffin tin. We have found the baking time is the same for popover pans, strangely enough. Very freely adapted from a recipe for blueberry corn muffins by Beth Hensperger.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground red chili pepper (we used Chimayo, for some heat, use one that suits your taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or 1 cup yogurt thinned with 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup corn oil or 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (half a 15 ounce can)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup raisins, plumped (in water, apple juice, rum, tequila or aquavit)
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray the cups of 2 or 3 standard muffin tins, or eight to ten popover cups or one-cup ramekins.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat and all-purpose flours and the other dry ingredients (up to and including the cinnamon).
- 3In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients (up to and including the eggs) with a whisk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened; the batter will be lumpy. Do not over-mix. Drain the raisins and gently fold them into the mixture with a large spatula to distribute evenly. Spoon the batter into the baking cups, filling them level with the top.
- 4Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and the tops are dry and springy to the touch. A cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean. Cool in the baking pan/cups for five minutes before removing to cool on a rack. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin-Raisin-Red Chile Corn Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.9
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 31.8 mg
- Sodium 239.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 4.2 g