Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Savoury pumpkin pie made with readily available ingredients. A couple of diced rashers of bacon can also be added. Serve warm with salad.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell
- 125 g grated tasty cheese (4 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 190DegC (375degF).
- Sprinkle cheese over pastry base.
- Melt butter in a pan and lightly fry spring onions for 2 minutes.
- Add spices, egg yolks, cream or milk and pumpkin.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff, fold into mixture, then pour filling mix into case slowly.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, then lower heat 180degC (350degF) and bake a further 30 minutes.
Loved this recipe sooooo much! I have eaten pumpkin quiche often in Cafes but have never made it for fear of disappointment. This recipe is easy and most importantly delicious! I used fresh ginger instead of ground and half a cup of cream and a quarter cup of milk. THANKS :)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I made this, but I really enjoyed it. I did add 4 slices of crunced up turkey bacon, used regular yellow onion instead of the spring onion, fresh ginger, and I may have used a bit more pumpkin than the recipe called for, but I added an extra egg to compensate. I didn't get a chance to whip the egg whites, because my son was "helping" me and one of the yolks broke. The quiche had a lovely texture, a bit softer than a regular one (probably because of the extra pumpkin...) Thank you for an unusual new addition to my repertoire.
This was more pumpkin than quiche and it was easy with ingredients that are always on hand, and it just hit the spot! I added (1 whole) carmelized sliced onion instead of the green. Also used fresh chopped ginger (4x the amt). Found the given cooking time fine in my convection oven. Gave the leftover pumpkin in the can to my doggie. This was very healthy, too!