Recipe by Sueie
Savoury pumpkin pie made with readily available ingredients. A couple of diced rashers of bacon can also be added. Serve warm with salad.
Top Review by grayda
Loved this recipe sooooo much! I have eaten pumpkin quiche often in Cafes but have never made it for fear of disappointment. This recipe is easy and most importantly delicious! I used fresh ginger instead of ground and half a cup of cream and a quarter cup of milk. THANKS :)
- 1 unbaked pastry shell
- 125 g grated tasty cheese (4 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 190DegC (375degF).
- Sprinkle cheese over pastry base.
- Melt butter in a pan and lightly fry spring onions for 2 minutes.
- Add spices, egg yolks, cream or milk and pumpkin.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff, fold into mixture, then pour filling mix into case slowly.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, then lower heat 180degC (350degF) and bake a further 30 minutes.