4 hrs 20 mins
I love to add some port or dark spiced rum (Zacapa or Zaya), to the pudding and/or the topping! Serve with a tawny port such as my favourite Taylor Fladgate 20-year or a higher-end sipping rum such as Zacapa or Zaya. The pudding can be made up to a few days in advance, but wait to mix the topping until you're ready to serve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- one 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree (1 3/4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1PUDDING: In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat at medium speed until the egg yolk mixture is thickened and light yellow, about 4 minutes.
- 2In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and half-and-half until small bubbles appear around the rim. Gradually beat 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the pudding is gently boiling and as thick as mayonnaise, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 3In a small skillet, cook the pumpkin puree over high heat, stirring constantly, until slightly dry, about 3 minutes. Add the puree to the pudding along with the butter and vanilla and stir until the butter melts. Transfer the pudding to a large bowl and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Refrigerate until very cold, about 4 hours.
- 4TOPPING: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream with the confectioners' sugar and minced crystallized ginger at high speed until firm peaks form.
- 5Spoon the pudding into wine glasses or dessert bowls and dollop the ginger whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with the crumbled gingersnaps and serve.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Pudding With Candied Ginger Whipped Cream
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.4
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 223.0 mg
- Sodium 84.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 31.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: