Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
this is like a delicate pumpkin pie...with a crunchy topping...
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350*.Lightly butter a 13x9 baking pan.
- TO MAKE THE CRUST:.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knifes until the mixture is the consistency of rough cornmeal.
- Add the ice water gradually, while stirring lightly with a fork, just until the dough begins to form a ball.Gather the dough together with floured hands.
- Cut a 13x9 piece of wax paper or foil and place on a flat surface.
- Place the dough in the center and roll with a lightly floured rolling pin to fit the paper as perfectly as possible. Lighting the dough by the paper, invert it into the prepared pan.
- Lift off and discard the paper.
- Trim the edges of the dough to fit the pan.
- Brush lightly with a little of the beaten egg white -- and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and flour in a bowl; add the butter and blend with your fingertips or a fork until mixed and crumbly.
- Add the walnuts and stir to blend.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the surface of the pumpkin filling.
- Return the bars to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting into bars.