Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was posted in The Houston Chronicle today. A decadent ooey gooey alternative to pumpkin pie without a lot work. Hope you enjoy!
For the Filling
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter
For The Cake
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 eggs
- Mix the filling ingredients together and chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Beat the cake ingredients together for four minutes.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan.
- Roll the chilled filling into a log and place it over the batter, being careful not to let it touch the sides of the pan.
- Cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for one hour.
- Let the cake cool for 45 minutes to an hour in the pan before inverting it onto a plate.*please note that the time necessary to chill the filling is not included in the prep time*.
I have been meaning to rate this ever since I tried it - shortly after Peggy Lynn posted it. "Ditto" to everything Susie said and THEN some. I think I've made it 4 times now - not just for us, but also to welcome some new neighbors. They said they would have moved here sooner if they had known about the Pumpkin Praline Cake. :) So full-bodied, so rich, and different textures to enjoy. It does not taste like a mix is used at all. Reminiscent of sticky buns, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie - all enjoyed at once. Thank you, Peggy!!!
Well Peggy Lynn, I have to say you've gone and done it now! :-) This recipe is awesome. My husband is a big pumpkin fan (as you very well know) so I had to try this tonight and boy am I glad I did!! It was a HUGE hit in this house. I'll be surprised if there is any left for tomorrow. The only thing that could possibly be a bit different was the cooking time, but I think that was my oven. I only had to bake it for 50 minutes. I let it cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes and it came out of the bundt pan beautifully! The rest of the recipe is perfect as written. It is such a pretty cake too. The filling sinks to the bottom and when you turn it over, it has this gooey, sticky wonderful looking top to the cake. It was perfect. Thank you SO much for this great recipe. It will become a regular in my rotation of cake recipes. Many hugs to you Peggy...Susie
The flavor is good. The cake is moist. I'll make it without the filling next time.