Recipe by D. Todd Miller
This cake is perfect for the Thanksgiving dessert table. This recipe made the rounds at my mother's workplace.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- chopped pecans (for garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar and eggs in large bowl. Pour in oil, beating at medium speed until well blended, about 3 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients together, then add them to batter.
- Add pumpkin and mix at slower speed until blended. Pour mixture into well-greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool on wire rack before adding icing.
- To make icing, mix cream cheese, margarine, and vanilla extract. Add sugar and beat until creamy and smooth. After icing the cooled cake, sprinkle top with nuts if desired.