Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Southern Living.
Make and share this Pumpkin Pound Cake recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter using an electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until soft and creamy.
- Gradually add in sugar, beating at medium speed 5-7 minutes.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- In another bowl, combine flour and the next 6 ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the pumpkin and rum.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the pumpkin mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix at lowest speed just until blended after each addition.
- Transfer batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 1 hour and 25-30 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
I've been making this cake every year since the recipe first appeared in SL's cookbook. It is always a hit. It's not hard to make, but it is a process and it's best to have everything you need ready to go - measured, bowls, flavorings, can of pumpkin opened, etc. I would also suggest a good standing mixer, like the Professional Kitchaid I have. You will need the power to mix the batter as it gets fuller and thicker at each flouring. I've only tried the walnut sauce on it once; it did not go over well. So, for us it's either a powdered sugar sprinkle or a cream cheese frosting - you don't want anything too sweet to rule over the spicy pumpkin! Enjoy!