Prep 20 mins
Cook 37 mins
A delicious creamy soup that can be made up to 3 days ahead.
- 4 whole cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprig fresh parsley
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only,halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 680.38 g sugar pumpkin, peeled,halved lengthwise,seeded,and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 946.36 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 473.18 ml half-and-half
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- cheesecloth (8-inch square)
- kitchen twine
- Cut an 8-inch square of cheesecloth, and place the cloves, peppercors, bay leaf, and parsley in the center; bring up the ends to form a sack and tie securely with kitchen twine; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic and leeks in olive oil over medium heat until tender but not brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon and thyme and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the chunks of potato, pumpkin, the stock, and the spice bag; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until potatoes and pumpin are fork-tender; discard spice bag.
- Cool soup 5-7 minutes; then puree in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return pureed soup to pan and add half and half, salt, sugar, cayenne, and ground pepper (to taste).
- Cook over low heat until heated through, but do not boil.
- Adjust seasonings and serve garnished with fresh parsley.
We loved it!
I loved this, but I can see how if you're not into unusual spice combinations it might not be your thing. If you like Moroccan food, I think you'd like this. I actually cheated a bit and used leftover mashed potato and turnip from our Thanksgiving dinner. The cinnamon and chilli powder turn this soup from ordinary into special, in my opinion.
This soup was easy to make, but just not my thing. It was an unusual spice combination for soup, which I just didn't find enjoyable.