1/1 Photo of Pumpkin, Potato, and Leek Soup
Sue Lau's Note:
A delicious creamy soup that can be made up to 3 days ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 whole cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only,halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs sugar pumpkin, peeled,halved lengthwise,seeded,and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- cheesecloth (8-inch square)
- kitchen twine
- 1Cut an 8-inch square of cheesecloth, and place the cloves, peppercors, bay leaf, and parsley in the center; bring up the ends to form a sack and tie securely with kitchen twine; set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan, saute garlic and leeks in olive oil over medium heat until tender but not brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- 3Add the cinnamon and thyme and cook 1 minute longer.
- 4Add the chunks of potato, pumpkin, the stock, and the spice bag; bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until potatoes and pumpin are fork-tender; discard spice bag.
- 6Cool soup 5-7 minutes; then puree in batches in a blender or food processor.
- 7Return pureed soup to pan and add half and half, salt, sugar, cayenne, and ground pepper (to taste).
- 8Cook over low heat until heated through, but do not boil.
- 9Adjust seasonings and serve garnished with fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin, Potato, and Leek Soup
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.4
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.3 mg
- Sodium 363.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: