1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
southern chef in louisiana's Note:
These are cute little pumpkin bowls, with yummy chicken pot pie in the center covered with pie crust. My kids love these. I think having their own little pumpkin bowl makes them feel extra special.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 (1 -2 lb) sugar pumpkin or 6 (1 -2 lb) acorn squash
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 8 ounces frozen pearl onions or 8 ounces chopped onions
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Slice tops off pumpkins.
- 3Remove seeds and pulp.
- 4Sprinkle insides of pumpkins with salt and pepper.
- 5Place pumpkins cut side up on a baking sheet.
- 6Cover pumpkins tightly with foil.
- 7Bake 25 to 30 minutes or just until skin is easily pierced with knife.
- 8Remove from oven.
- 9Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- 10Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- 11Add flour and cook, stirring constantly until well blended, about 1 minute.
- 12Add broth and stir constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- 13Add vegetables, onions, chicken and herbs.
- 14Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Remove from heat and divide mixture evenly among cooled pumpkin shells (approximately 1-1/2 cups per pumpkin).
- 16Unwrap pie dough and place on lightly floured work surface.
- 17With a sharp paring knife, cut (12) 6-inch-long, 1/2-inch-wide strips, and roll dough to resemble tendrils.
- 18Cut small leaf shapes, and with back of knife, gently press lines into leaf to resemble veins.
- 19Use egg wash as glue to attach dough strips, twisting gently to form coils.
- 20Attach leaves.
- 21Brush all decorations with egg wash.
- 22Return pumpkins to oven and bake about 30 minutes, or until pie dough is golden and filling is hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Pot Pie / Pies
Serving Size: 1 (813 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.1
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 137.3 mg
- Sodium 1115.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 38.2 g