Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great comfort food. I love to dish up a mug of this stew and dip some really good wheat or pumpernickel bread into the broth during cold winter nights (yes, I do get cold in Arizona).
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml sliced carrot
- 236.59 ml sliced celery
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 414.03 ml solid pack pumpkin
- 414.03 ml chicken broth
- 295.73 ml hominy
- 118.29 ml sour cream (I prefer fat free)
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh cilantro (Parsley may be substituted)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper (I prefer freshly ground)
- 2.46 ml dried oregano, crushed
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg (I promise this is good)
- HEAT oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, onion and carrot; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add celery and bell pepper; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- STIR in pumpkin, broth, hominy, sour cream, cilantro, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are blended.
I'd give this eight stars if I could! I wasn't sure about the pumpkin, because sometimes the taste is overpowering, but this ROCKED! The pumpkin lent a richness, and a glorious color, but otherwise we couldn't taste it. I made it last night, and I'm making it again today before the the rest of the cilantro goes bad.....gonna freeze it. I used yogurt instead of sour cream, but otherwise followed it to a T. YUM YUM YUM!
made this for my pumpkin feast I do every halloween, and it was a sensation!, everone loved it. I didnt have any homeny for I just left it out, and I used Ground chicken instead of Pieces. FOlks are still asking me for the recipe, THanks for your submission of this great recipe
Wow, this is yummy! :) I cooked it in a crockpot on high for 4 1/2 hours (putting it all in at once, except for the sour cream and cumin added in the last 30 minutes). I didn't have celery, so I used fennel (cooked texture is very similar). I added a can of Rotel tomatoes. This is a recipe we'll be making again!!