Recipe by Kelly M.
Pumpkin and spice add a great flavor to pork sausage and potatoes. Delicious! Great as a main dish or a first course. Serve with good crusty bread. Enjoy!
Top Review by Lorac
An easy to make chowder with a sophisticated taste. The combination and balance of ingredients resulted in an intricate flavor that kept me wanting just one more taste. I used pork breakfast sausage which blended so well with the other ingredient, adding flavor without overpowering. Bravo!
- 1 lb mild pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 3 (42 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces (about 6 small potatoes or 4 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, brown sausage until cooked through.
- Drain fat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in soup pot.
- Add onion and celery, saute over medium heat while sausage is cooking.
- Add browned sausage to soup pot.
- Mix with onion and celery and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add pumpkin, chicken broth, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir until smooth and well blended.
- Add potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Warm evaporated milk.
- Add to soup and mix through.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.