Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
A great cookie that will have everyone talking and asking for the recipe. Can be made ahead of time and frozen until needed. Preparation time does not include the freezing of the rolls.
- 1 3⁄4 cups solid pack pumpkin
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine pumpkin, 1 cup of the sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts; cool and set aside.
- Cream shortening and remaining 2 cups of sugar in a large bowl.
- Add eggs; beat until fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- On lightly floured foil, roll each into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread with 1/3 reserved mixture.
- Starting from the wide end, roll as for jelly roll.
- Wrap in foil.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place rolls in freezer several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove one roll at a time, unwrap and cut with a sharp knife into 3/8 inch slices.
- Arrange on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- If desired, mix 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 or 3 tablespoons of milk together. Drizzle icing over cooled cookies. Allow icing to harden before plating.