1 hr 50 mins
An impressive presentation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 sour cream pie crust, rolled out to fit 9 inch pie dish (in my recipes)
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten to blend
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur
Candied Orange Peel
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Line pie shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dry beans.
- 3Bake until set, about 7-8 minutes.
- 4Carefully remove weights and foil, brush pastry with egg mixture and bake until golden-brown, 15-20 minutes.
- 5For filling: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 340F.
- 6Blend sugar, spices and salt in large bowl.
- 7Whisk in pumpkin and molasses, then add cream and eggs.
- 8Stir in marmalade and liqueur.
- 9Pour filling into crust.
- 10Bake until almost set, about 55-60 minutes.
- 11Let cool atleast 2 hours.
- 12For orange peel: Remove peel from oranges in 2 inch wide strips using a vegetable peeler.
- 13Slice lengthwise into very fine julienne.
- 14Bring 2 cups water to rapid boil.
- 15Add peel and blanch 5 minutes.
- 16Drain well.
- 17Add sugar and ¼ cup water to saucepan.
- 18Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, swirling pan occasionally.
- 19Return peel to saucepan.
- 20Place over medium heat and boil until most of liquid is evaporated and mixture is pale golden-brown, swirling pan occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- 21Remove from heat.
- 22Gradually stir in liqueur mixture.
- 23Cool to room temperature; if orange peel crystallizes, add 2 more tblsps liquid and heat gently until liquid dissolves.
- 24Just before serving, whip cream to very soft peaks.
- 25Add sugar and continue whipping until billowy peaks form.
- 26Mound about ¾ cup whipped cream in center of pie.
- 27Sprinkle with orange peel, decoratively.
- 28Pass remaining whipped cream separately.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Pie with Candied Orange Peel
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.8
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 214.4 mg
- Sodium 343.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 76.1 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: