Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An impressive presentation.
Make and share this Pumpkin Pie with Candied Orange Peel recipe from Food.com.
- 1 sour cream pie crust, rolled out to fit 9 inch pie dish (in my recipes)
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten to blend
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur
Candied Orange Peel
- 2 large oranges
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (or ¼ cup fresh orange juice)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line pie shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dry beans.
- Bake until set, about 7-8 minutes.
- Carefully remove weights and foil, brush pastry with egg mixture and bake until golden-brown, 15-20 minutes.
- For filling: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 340F.
- Blend sugar, spices and salt in large bowl.
- Whisk in pumpkin and molasses, then add cream and eggs.
- Stir in marmalade and liqueur.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Bake until almost set, about 55-60 minutes.
- Let cool atleast 2 hours.
- For orange peel: Remove peel from oranges in 2 inch wide strips using a vegetable peeler.
- Slice lengthwise into very fine julienne.
- Bring 2 cups water to rapid boil.
- Add peel and blanch 5 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Add sugar and ¼ cup water to saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, swirling pan occasionally.
- Return peel to saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and boil until most of liquid is evaporated and mixture is pale golden-brown, swirling pan occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in liqueur mixture.
- Cool to room temperature; if orange peel crystallizes, add 2 more tblsps liquid and heat gently until liquid dissolves.
- Just before serving, whip cream to very soft peaks.
- Add sugar and continue whipping until billowy peaks form.
- Mound about ¾ cup whipped cream in center of pie.
- Sprinkle with orange peel, decoratively.
- Pass remaining whipped cream separately.