Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This pie is delicious, and no one will EVER miss the eggs. You can use this filling with your favorite home made pie crust, or store bought. I made this for Thanksgiving 2009 using this crust: Pecan Cinnamon Crust Because I didn't have clove, I used 1/2 tsp cinnamon PLUS from Pampered Chef, which has a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. I also used candied pecans for the top. From: Joy of Vegan Baking
- 1 pie crust
- 12 ounces silken tofu
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, fimly packed
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch or 1⁄4 cup arrowroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 16 toasted pecans, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare pie crust.
- Blend together the pumpkin, tofu maple syrup, brown sugar, cornstarch, and spices until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into prepared crust, and smooth top of filling with a spatula.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and the outermost inch of the filling is set.
- Don't worry is the center is still soft, it will continue to firm up as the pie cools.
- Gently press the toasted pecan halves into the filling. I did 2 concentric circles.
- Cool to room temperature and then chill until set, 1-2 hours.
- can be served chilled or at room temperature.