1/1 Photo of Pumpkin Pie Filling
I am often astounded at how few people know how to make pumpkin pie filling from scratch. In my opinion, it makes all the difference in the world when you're looking to make a truly spectacular pie for Thanksgiving or any autumnal dinner. Remember: A pumpkin is a squash, and the meat can be prepared in the same way any other large squash can. When shopping for your pumpkin, the standard "Veggie Rule" applies: Smaller specimens tend to pack a lot more flavor, and the heavier pumpkin will be denser. Little pie pumpkins are available in the fall, should weight about a pound and a half to two pounds a piece, and are the ones that you'll need for this recipe. You can use the big ones, but they just don't pack the same punch. Also, just as a tip, keep some exam gloves handy for easy clean-up after de-seeding your pumpkins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the tops off of the pumpkins in a circle, just like you would for making a jack-o-lantern.
- 2Quarter the pumpkins from the top down and scoop out the seeds and tendrils. (Keep seeds for pepitas if you like.).
- 3Place the pumpkin shells meat-side up on a large cookie sheet or other sided baking dish.
- 4Smear the inner surfaces of the pumpkins with the butter.
- 5Sprinkle the brown sugar and spices, including a small bit of salt, over the shells.
- 6Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until you can easily stab through the flesh with a fork.
- 7Let stand to cool.
- 8Gently cut away the outer skin. (This is great for compost!).
- 9Puree, mash, or process the meat to the desired consistency for the recipe you're preparing - very smooth for a mousse, less so for a standard pie.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Pie Filling
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 51.3
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 23.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: