Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
These pumpkin squares are sweet and spicy. I was given this recipe by a co-worker over 30 years ago just before I got married, and it's one my husband has always enjoyed. Make sure you use canned pumpkin pie MIX not canned pumpkin.
- 517.37 g box yellow cake mix
- 118.29 ml butter
- 1 egg
- 709.77 ml pumpkin pie mix
- 2 eggs
- 158.51 ml milk
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
Topping (use 1 cup cake mixture reserved)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 59.14 ml butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease or spray a 9x13 cake pan.
- Stir together cake ingredients, reserve 1 cup for the topping, press the rest of the mixture into the bottom of your pan.
- Mix together filling ingredients pour over the cake layer.
- Combine topping ingredients sprinkle over the filling layer.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.
- I seldom use cake mix, when I do it's always Duncan Hines, use the classic yellow.
- For extra crunch add 1/2-3/4 cup of chopped walnuts to the topping.
Tastes like pumpkin pie with a cake like crust. It is yummy. The only problem I had was the dough for the top wasn't really crumbly, but I was able to break it up and drop here and there. Looks great - better than the photo. Thanks for posting!