Recipe by momaphet
These pumpkin squares are sweet and spicy. I was given this recipe by a co-worker over 30 years ago just before I got married, and it's one my husband has always enjoyed. Make sure you use canned pumpkin pie MIX not canned pumpkin.
Top Review by Color Guard Mom
Tastes like pumpkin pie with a cake like crust. It is yummy. The only problem I had was the dough for the top wasn't really crumbly, but I was able to break it up and drop here and there. Looks great - better than the photo. Thanks for posting!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3 cups pumpkin pie mix
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Topping (use 1 cup cake mixture reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease or spray a 9x13 cake pan.
- Stir together cake ingredients, reserve 1 cup for the topping, press the rest of the mixture into the bottom of your pan.
- Mix together filling ingredients pour over the cake layer.
- Combine topping ingredients sprinkle over the filling layer.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.
- I seldom use cake mix, when I do it's always Duncan Hines, use the classic yellow.
- For extra crunch add 1/2-3/4 cup of chopped walnuts to the topping.