Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
These pumpkin squares are sweet and spicy. I was given this recipe by a co-worker over 30 years ago just before I got married, and it's one my husband has always enjoyed. Make sure you use canned pumpkin pie MIX not canned pumpkin.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3 cups pumpkin pie mix
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Topping (use 1 cup cake mixture reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease or spray a 9x13 cake pan.
- Stir together cake ingredients, reserve 1 cup for the topping, press the rest of the mixture into the bottom of your pan.
- Mix together filling ingredients pour over the cake layer.
- Combine topping ingredients sprinkle over the filling layer.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.
- I seldom use cake mix, when I do it's always Duncan Hines, use the classic yellow.
- For extra crunch add 1/2-3/4 cup of chopped walnuts to the topping.
Tastes like pumpkin pie with a cake like crust. It is yummy. The only problem I had was the dough for the top wasn't really crumbly, but I was able to break it up and drop here and there. Looks great - better than the photo. Thanks for posting!