Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Perfect easy variation from standard pumpkin pie
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix (1 package)
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 29 ounces pumpkin (1 large can)
- 5 ounces evaporated milk (1 small can)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled
- Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350.
- Lightly grease (I use Pam for baking cooking spray) 13x9in pan. Set pan aside.
- Measure out 1 cup of cake mix and reserve for the topping.
- Place remaining cake mix, 1 stick butter and 1 egg in mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined (1 minute).
- Using your fingertips, press the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan so that it reaches the sides.
- Place pumpkin, milk, 1 cup sugar, remaining 3 eggs and cinnamon in the same large mixing bowl used to prepare the crust and with the same beaters (no need to clean either).
- Blend on low speed until combined (30 seconds)
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the mixture lightens in color and texture, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour the filling over the crust in the pan, spreading to the sides of the pan with a rubber spatula. Set pan aside.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar, chilled butter and reserved cake mix in a clean medium-sized bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined and crumbly (30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Distribute the topping evenly over the filling mixture. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the center no logger jiggles, appx 70 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Cut the cake into squares and serve with whipped cream if desired.