Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I haven't tried this yet, put here for safekeeping! Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens magazine. They say two treasured recipes come together for a light cheesecake that tastes like pumpkin pie!
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed gingersnaps (8-9 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup cranberry sauce (or cranberry relish)
- Position two oven racks, one above the other, bottom rack in lowest position. On bottom rack place a 13x9x2 inch baking pan and pour in water to 1" depth.
- Heat oven to 350*F. To drain pumpkin, line a fine mesh sieve with 100% cotton cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter; set over a bowl. Spoon in pumpkin, set aside while preparing crust.
- For the crust:.
- In bowl stir together crushed gingersnaps, butter, and the 2 tbls. of brown sugar. Press the crumb mixture onto bottom and about 1" up the sides of a 9x3" springform pan. Bake 5 minutes or until firm. Cool completely on rack.
- For filling:.
- In large bowl beat cream cheese and the 1 1/4 cups brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in pumpkin(discard liquid), flour, and pumpkin pie spice until combined. Stir in eggs by hand.
- Pour filling into crust lined pan, spreading to sides of pan. Place springform pan on baking sheet then on oven rack above water filled pan. Bake 1 hour or until filling appears set when gently shaken. Turn off the oven; let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. (The top may crack as it cools).
- Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. With a small sharp knife, loosen the crust from sides of pan; cool 30 minutes. Remove sides of springform pan; cool completely on rack. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving. Serve with Cranberry Topping.
- To make Cranberry Topping:.
- In a small saucepan combine 1 cup cranberries and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat 4-5 minutes or until berries begin to pop. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cranberry sauce or relish. Cool.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups topping.