Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
If you like pumpkin pie, you'll love this cake's subtle spice flavors and velvety cream cheese frosting. The slightly sweet and mild pecans add a pleasant crunch to the smooth frosting. GOOD TO KNOW: Pie or cake? You won't have to choose with this delectable dessert. It incorporates all the cinnamon-spice of pumpkin pie, as well as the fiber and beta-carotene of pumpkin, into a delicious cake layered with cream cheese frosting, no pastry crust required.
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) canunsweetened pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- orange slice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare cake, coat 2 (8 inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust pans evenly with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Combine 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil in a large bowl; beat with mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Add egg substitute and eggs; beat until well blended. Add pumpkin, beating until blended.
- Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating just until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- To prepare frosting, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended (do not overbeat). Add juice, stirring until blended.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup frosting over layer, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle with pecans, and garnish with orange slices. if desired.