Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has replaced pumpkin pie at our thanksgiving dinner.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (minus one cup)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 (20 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Save 1 cup out of cake mix for topping.
- Mix crust ingredients and pat into bottom of 9x13" pan.
- Mix filling ingredients and pour over cake crust.
- Combine remaining cake mix and sugar for topping and cut margerine into the powder to create a crumbley topping.
- Bake 1 hour, 10 mins. at 350.
This was a great recipe. We had the same problem with the topping, so we just dropped it by spoonfuls and baked it off that way. It was very yummy. The next time we made it, we omitted the topping. It was good too, but we all liked it better with the topping.
This was a tasty dessert. The only problem was the topping. It turned out to be a very batter like substance and I could not figure out how to spread it over the pumpkin mixture, so I ommited completely. The result was still good a tasty pumkin filling with a moist cake like crust. Good!
This is a wonderful pumpkin pie alternative, especially for those of us that do not like traditional pie crust. You can also use this recipe with fruit pie filling also.