Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is different than others I've seen posted since it doesn't use a cake mix. From Cooking Light November 2005.
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) canunsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 cups flour (about 9 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- orange slice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust pans evenly with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Combine 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Add egg substitute and eggs; beat until well blended.
- Add pumpkin, beating until blended.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove cake from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended (do not overbeat).
- Add juice, stirring until blended.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup frosting over layer, and top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread remaining frosting over top of cake.
- Sprinkle with pecans, and garnish with orange slices, if desired.