Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
Found this on a Christmas baking site; sounds yummy! Instead of the macadamia nuts, you could add a sprinkle of chocolate chips, toffee bits, raisins, or dried cranberries.
Top Review by credlady
I just made these with the following modifications: 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice 3/4 cup Libby canned pumpkin 1/2 cup Nestle Semi-Sweet Choc Chips Egg wash I found it best to get in there with your hands and work the dough. The egg wash gives the log a nice shine and the chocolate chips add a needed sweetness. We enjoyed them and I will keep playing with the recipe until I find that perfect mix for our taste buds :-) We're off to a great start..thanks for the recipe!!
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup mashed canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl; stir well.
- In another bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla, stirring well with a wire whisk.
- Slowly add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Mixture will be very crumbly; it will gradually become moistened after stirring.).
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add macadamia nuts.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until nuts are browned; remove from heat and cool completely.
- Knead or gently stir cooled nuts into the dough.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 portions.
- Lightly flour hands and shape each portion into a 1x15" log.
- Place logs 3" apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 23 minutes; cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300*F. Cut each log diagonally into 1/2" slices using a serrated knife.
- Place slices on ungreased cookie sheets; bake for 15 minutes, turning once.
- Cool completely on wire racks.