Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
CORRECTED RECIPE 10-1-03 This pie is AMAZING! My mother-in-law's signature recipe. You can also find my post of "Amish" pie crust recipe - which is what she (naturally) uses for this recipe. Enjoy! This one's hard to beat, and sure to be enjoyed by all!
- 1 cup pumpkin (if you use fresh, cook it first. If you use canned pumpkin, it's not necessary to cook it first)
- 1 cup brown sugar (scant)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (We use King syrup or Old Barrel molasses)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups scalded milk
- pumpkin pie spice, to taste (OR nutmeg, allspice & cinnamon)
- Mix sugars& flour.
- In a separate bowl, mix pumpkin, yolks & molasses together.
- Add scalded milk to pumpkin mixture. Add spices and 1 T. browned butter to pumpkin mixture.
- Add dry ingredients (sugars & flour) to pumpkin mixture. Fold in egg whites.
- Mix well& pour into pie shells.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then lower temperature (leave pies in the oven) to 350& cook until finished, approximately 40-45 minutes.
I'm sorry this pie did not set up right, the middle stayed soogy. Not sure what happened.