Recipe by Schuyler
A delicious pumpkin pie recipe. I used fresh grated ginger and a generous portion of cinnamon which gives a mouth-watering flavor.
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 12% half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust rack 5 or 6 inches above bottom of oven. Start oven 10 minutes before baking; set to 400 degrees.
- Make pastry - roll out and line a 9-inch pie pan, fitting well into angles.
- Trim off with scissors 1/2-inch beyond pan rim; turn overhang under so fold is even with pan rim.
- Crimp edges with fork or flute edge. Do not prick pastry.
- Chill in refrigerator for 30 minute.
- Turn pumpkin into a 3-qt saucepan, place over direct heat and cook and stir until dried out and slightly caramelized.
- Remove from heat, but keep hot.
- Mix the sugar, salt and spices well, then stir into the hot pumpkin thoroughly.
- Beat eggs slightly, add cream and milk, then add to the pumpkin mixture and stir until thoroughly blended.
- Pour immediately into pastry-lined pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 min or until pastry is golden brown and only an inch circle in the middle of the filling remains soft. It will set later.
- Place on cake rack to cool to lukewarm before cutting.