Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Savory semi-creamy pasta with a little kick of spice. Great for fall. I like to put steak thinnly sliced inside.
- 1 lb whole wheat penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sage (fresh or dry)
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- In a small bowl mix the milk with the flour save for latter.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, pumpkin and milk mix. Add the cayenne pepper, and pumpkin pie season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sage.
- Mix all ingredients together and toss parmigiano-reggiano over.