Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These easy, not-too-sweet bars are healthy & delicious! They store well and even taste better with a day in an air-tight container at room temperature. After that they'll stay tasty in the fridge for up to a week or for up to a month in the freezer.
FOR THE BARS
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE DRIZZLE
- 6 tablespoons light cream cheese (Nefuchatel)
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped and toasted (2 ounces)
- To prepare the bars, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 15 by 10 inch jelly roll pan with a non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the flour, pie spice, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
- With an electric beater at medium speed, beat the granulated sugar, butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin, carrot, egg substitute, and vanilla. Then gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
- To prepare the cream cheese drizzle: combine the cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl. Transfer to a pastry bag with a round writing tip. When the bars are cool, drizzle the mixture over the bars. Sprinkle with the pecans, pressing them into the drizzle to help them adhere. Let stand 15 minutes to allow the drizzle to set, then cut into bars.