Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was given to me by a friend. I haven't tried it yet but will have to during the holidays.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened,divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 -3 tablespoons rum (may substitute 1 t. rum extract)
- Grease a 12-cup tube pan; sprinkle pecans evenly over the bottom of the pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine.
- In another large mixing bowl, add 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, and brown sugar; beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs; beat well to combine.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla; beat well to combine.
- Add flour mixture to batter one-third at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour batter into tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- To make glaze: melt the remainder of the butter in a saucepan.
- Add in the remaining sugar and water; stir and bring to a boil (add more water sparingly if not the consistency you want).
- Remove pan from heat; add in rum; stir to combine.
- Poke holes in cake with a toothpick.
- Pour half the rum mixture over the cake.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour the rest of the rum mixture over the cake.
Very good, moist, dense, but not heavy. I mixed my own pumpkin pie spice. (just click on pimpkin pie spice in the recipe and it will give you the amounts in the mix- Thanks Zaar!)You could get away without the rum glaze/ or substitute your favorite drizzle icing, I think maple flavoring would be good too. Also you could serve warm with ice cream! Very good NurseDi, Thanks.