Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The surprise topping includes crunchy pecans and oats, making these muffins perfect for the start of the day. These muffins freeze well, and children love them.
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup instant oats
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place muffin liners in 2 1/2-inch muffin tins.
- Place the brown sugar, pecans, oats, and butter in a food processor or blender and pulse 10 times until mixture is crumbly and well combined.
- Set aside.
- For the batter, place the sugar, oil, eggs and pumpkin in a large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer set on medium-low until well combined, 1 minute.
- Add the flour and spices to the bowl and pour in a little of the water.
- Beat on low until just combined.
- Continue adding the rest of the water, beating on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Spoon batter into the muffin pans, filling three-quarters full.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the topping on the top of each muffin.
- Place muffin pans in the oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until muffins spring back when lightly pressed with your finger and pecans are golden brown.
- Remove pans to a rack to cool for a few minutes, then carefully remove muffins to the rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the process as needed to bake all the muffins.
- To freeze, place cooled muffins in zipper-lock bags and store in the freezer for up to six months.