Recipe by Dancer^
The surprise topping includes crunchy pecans and oats, making these muffins perfect for the start of the day. These muffins freeze well, and children love them.
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup instant oats
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place muffin liners in 2 1/2-inch muffin tins.
- Place the brown sugar, pecans, oats, and butter in a food processor or blender and pulse 10 times until mixture is crumbly and well combined.
- Set aside.
- For the batter, place the sugar, oil, eggs and pumpkin in a large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer set on medium-low until well combined, 1 minute.
- Add the flour and spices to the bowl and pour in a little of the water.
- Beat on low until just combined.
- Continue adding the rest of the water, beating on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Spoon batter into the muffin pans, filling three-quarters full.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the topping on the top of each muffin.
- Place muffin pans in the oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until muffins spring back when lightly pressed with your finger and pecans are golden brown.
- Remove pans to a rack to cool for a few minutes, then carefully remove muffins to the rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the process as needed to bake all the muffins.
- To freeze, place cooled muffins in zipper-lock bags and store in the freezer for up to six months.