This is a beautiful cake, as well as great tasting. A friend at work made this for a "Bake Off Contest" we had at work. This came in first place. I think it came out of a Land O' Lakes cookbook.
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (18 ounce) package spice cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup caramel topping
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, mix crushed wafers, chopped pecans and 3/4 cup butter.
- Beat at medium speed until crumbly; about 2 minutes.
- Divide mixture into 3 equal portions.
- Press each portion into one of three greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Using the same bowl, combine the cake mix, pumpkin, 1/4 cup butter and eggs.
- Beat at medium speed until well mixed.
- Spread 1 3/4 cup batter over crumbs in each pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool for about 5 minutes; remove from pans onto cooling racks until cooled completely.
- In bowl combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- On serving plate, layer 3 cakes (nut side down) with 1/2 cup filling spread between each layer.
- Frost SIDES of cake only with remaining frosting.
- Spread caramel topping over top of cake, drizzling some over the frosted sides.
- Arrange pecan halves in rings on top of cake.
- Store in refrigerator.
One of the best cakes I've ever had!!!! Extremely most and the perfect amount of sweetness. Highly recommended!!!
This truly is a fabulous pumpkin cake Kim. Really good, rich and filling. You certainly don't need a very big piece to get your sweet fix. I choose to omit the caramel syrup as a drizzle and it was still plenty sweet. A wonderful birthday cake for DS#3. Glad I tagged and thanks for posting this wonderful delight. Made for BevyTag!
I totally forgot to review this! OMG this is incredible! I had this at NcM's house and I just could not stay away from it! This is divine, superb, scrumptious etc... Usually I find the icing overly sweet in spice cakes but not so here. This was so grand and delish! 100 stars Kim! swak!